Tuesday, April 8, 2014

How do you DO that?

Several people have asked me how I make my bags/pouches, or even hats.  Honestly, I just make it up as I go.  I will most likely never post a tutorial because I rarely use a pattern, plus I never make the same item the same way.  If I do use a pattern or tutorial, I'll include the link on my post so you can easily find it.

Basically, I go on Pinterest and do a search on an item.  Anything really.  I pin those that I like.  If there's a tutorial or pattern with, great.  If not, I just use the pin as inspiration.

Then I search youtube.  I search for tutorials on anything I'm not sure how to do.  For example, how to insert a zipper into any bag or making a basic beanie.  Those videos I save in my favorites on my youtube channel.

Sometimes I use graph paper to make a diagram of what I'm thinking of making.  It will have the measurements for the item and any details I plan to add.
Like this...


Then I just make it.  Spend plenty of time sitting and staring at my fabric or a picture too.  Just thinking about how I plan on going about making it.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  If it doesn't, then I have ideas on how to improve it and make it work.  I just keep trying until I get it how I like.  Then I'll make several to practice.  

And there you go... 

Luckily I have lots of friends and family that are willing to use my duds or will be guinea pigs for me.  And they help me think of new ideas to make as well.  

Julie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment