Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pinterest review-Crockpot White bean and ham soup

So, after Easter, what do you do with all the leftover ham?  Or the ham bone?  Well, if you're like me, you turn to Pinterest!

I pinned this post for Crockpot White Bean and Ham soup and really wanted to give it a try.  Super easy to make, all you need is:

1 lb. ham, ham bone, ham hocks
1 lb. dried great northern beans, rinsed and sorted
medium onion, diced
3 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken stock (or 43.5 oz)
pepper
parsley
oregano
salt (if needed)

I added carrots (about 4 diced) and used a yellow onion.  Season to your taste; I did the "oh, that's about right" by sight method.  You put it all in the crockpot...
 ...and cook on low for 8 hours or high for about 6.  The whole house smelled amazing as this cooked all day.

It was ready to go when my husband, William, got home.  Just don't forget to remove the ham bone if you used one.  I asked William to test the soup for seasoning and he said it was perfect.
I have to agree; it was delicious!

The hardest/longest part of making this soup was dicing the carrots and onion.  Love it!  Can't wait to make this again.

Here's the finished product...

Perfect for a cold, snowy or rainy day.

Try it out!

Julie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment